Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG9 viewfinder problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta XG9 viewfinder problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James_stan
Tinkerer
Username: James_stan

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All

Just got a new (to me) XG-9 and I noticed the PO
had taped-up the aperture spotting window under
the Minolta logo on the front of the Prism housing.

I managed to uncover it, but predictably I still cannot
see to the aperture setting. Anyone any clues about this. Is there an exploded diagram
anywhere on the www I can refer to ?

Cheers

James

Markklitsch
Tinkerer
Username: Markklitsch

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the xg series had a small mirror under the top cover that would reflect the f-stop in the viewfinder. very common for it to fall off its bracket. its probably floating around inside the camera.

James_stan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm thanks for the reply

How small ? Easy, worthwhile to strip out this section to find it? My XG1 doesn't have it.

I must say I like the idea of this feature but not a show-stopper if It don't work..

Cheers again

James

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 127

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's very small- maybe 3 by 4 mm.

If you don't deal with it, it will eventually work it's way into the gears of the camera and completely stop it up.

I would recommend that you remove the top of the camera and try to shake it out. If that doesn't work, try removing the bottom and looking for it there. Once you find it, it is easy to reglue it where it belongs.

James_stan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 02:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

Thanks again for replies.

I took the front (logo) cover off by removing two
screws and then the the small combined view 'lens'
and tiny mirror holder - so I now see where it belongs.
I then gave the thing a shake and out dropped the square
concave lens type thing that sits in the square view hole. BUT no mirror yet.

It could have dropped out when the PO taped the hole over .

Not sure how much more dis-assembley I'm capable of though. How do I remove the bottom ?

Can anyone suggest how I could make, beg, buy steal a suitable replacement ?

Cheers

james

James_stan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
OK so I took the bottom off and also removed the
battery holder plate. NO sign of any mirror though, just lotts of scary looking cogs, gears and springs..

DRAT !

Anyone got a suggestion of where to get hold of one. Do I have to buy a scrapper to use for spares ?

Cheers

James

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Send me your address and I'll send you one N/C!
www.flcamerarepair.com!

James_stan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 05:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow ! That would be awesome. I will pay the postage at least since I am in the UK.

Will PM you my address.

Cheers

James

James_stan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Art (Bossman)

Did you get my address in the end (sent to your work email I hope.) ?

No problem if this is too much hassle to send I will fuly understand - I will find a scrap XG-9 or XD on ebay for the part..

Cheers

james

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration