Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Contaflex missing spring??? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Zeiss Contaflex missing spring??? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 55

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a nice Contaflex Alpha with a Prontor Reflex shutter that I took apart to flush the sticking shutter and aperture blades. Somebody has had a go at fixing this at some time and may have lost a spring and ball that is located in the aperture setting ring but I'm not sure.

Does anybody know if the aperture setting ring has two springs and two steel balls to provide some friction to the ring, or whatever?

Thanks - Alf

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 148

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 05:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't be certain it's the same, Alf, but I stripped a Contaflex Prima about 3 years ago (same lens and shutter but with a coupled meter). There is no mention in my notes of springs/balls in or around the aperture-ring, or any sign of them in my pictures. Is there 'forensic' evidence (eg. friction marks) that something was there that isn't there any more?

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 56

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Steve - the aperture ring has two opposing holes located on the camera side. When I started to lift off the aperture ring I could feel there was a spring pushing away, so I was careful not to loose anything, all that came out was one spring, no ball. There are some friction marks were the spring is rubbing on the fixed ring that has the index arrow.

When assembled, the aperture ring has the right amount of friction when you move it, so maybe its meant to be this way. Just seems strange to me that Zeiss would do this as the camera is very well enginered.

Thanks - Alf

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 149

Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree that it can't be correct if the end of a compression spring is rubbing. The Prima must be a fair bit more complicated in the aperture setting area so it's probably not a good comparison with the Alpha.

Unless anyone can come up with a different plan, I'd be inclined to go with your original thought, and see if you can find another spring and a couple of ball bearings to suit. A ball will probably produce less friction than the spring on its own, so two of them may come out right!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration