Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sticky meter switch on a Spotmatic Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Sticky meter switch on a Spotmatic « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martinsmith99
Tinkerer
Username: Martinsmith99

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took my spotty out today and the meter switch has started sticking in the up position so I have to turn the meter off manually. First few shots were fine then it started playing up and now sticks everytime.

Can anyone help?

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, February 20, 2009 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try a couple drops of lighter fluid, work the switch over and over then blow it out..............just might do the trick!!

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 57

Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 02:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had this problem with one of my Spotmatics (thats why it was cheap!) but I managed to get it working again by injecting a few drops of oil into the small hole with a lever sticking out near the mirror hinge.

I use a wire paper clip bent into shape to get the oil inside, or you could try a thin plastic tube filled with oil, I think I thinned the oil with lighter fluid. I tried all the other things but this did the trick and the meter switch is still working as it should. Be careful not to get oil onto the mirror or screen.
Alf

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 28

Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 03:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sometimes a bit of lubrication seems to help but other times it either doesn't or only does so for a while. I've usually ended up dismantling the camera and taking out a couple of turns of the switch's return spring. After all these years, the springs are entitled to be getting a little slack!
Steve

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration