Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Some questions on Pratikca L timing gear Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Some questions on Pratikca L timing gear « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ricky
Tinkerer
Username: Ricky

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 02:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hello
I actually got a Praktica LLC and realized the timings were not correct, especially the 1 and half second were too slow. I disassembled the gear, and did a CL. I also adjusted the spring on the piece responsible for controlling shutter and pressing against the timing gear. 1000 until 8 are working now with 20% error, 4 2 1 are too slow again. But i am facing two other problems:

1. On some shots, the shutter does close at 1000 or does not open at all, with any timing control. I can hear the gear and i can see, the control piece does its job but the second sutter comes too early. I can not see whats wrong, as the timing gear sits on top of the control. Did anybody have this problem yet?

2. The 30 does not work correctly, but is comparable to 15. The 30 is the last setting of the second gear. Is the resistance of the second gear too high? how to change this, i did not find anything to control this.

The third question is a general question, the spring controlling shutter time is in full tension, what to do to further tightne it? get a new (used) one?

Please be sorry for the bad english, i dont know the technical terms. I hope any body can help me.
regards, Ricky
I hope anybody can help me

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 150

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 04:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure I can help with your particular problems, but I have put together some notes on dismantling and adjusting L-series Prakticas at http://www.ydo.abelgratis.co.uk/camera_lens_index.html which might be of some use.

You can operate the shutter at 1/1000 without the timing-delay mechanism in position, which may help you to work out what is going wrong there. My notes on adjusting the timings are based on experiment and may not be completely correct, but I have had good results from them.

Let us know how you get on.

Ricky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first problem is solved, the second blind did not latch on some occasions, especially when cocking slow and weakly. So the shutter was not working at all, not even at 1/1000 though it sounden like this. I fixed this by adjusting the cocking mechanism as mentioned on your webpage.

Steve_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 151

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad you have the main problem fixed, Ricky.

Which is the spring that you say is in full tension? Do you mean the thin "hair-spring" just to the left of the frame-counter disc? I have had an idea that might help with the 1/30 sec problem, but it wouldn't be a simple job, and you would need a tester to measure the shutter-times. It might be safer to "quit while you are ahead"!

Ricky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the hints on your webpage. I finally got some results which were acceptable to me. I had to bend the spring of the control plate a little more, but still did not get totally good results. The slow gear was too fast and i couldnt get it faster. More tension on the gear let it stop totally.
I was satisfied and wanted to put the stuff all together, but then the smaller of the two mirror springs broke :-( dont know how this happened, but cant do anything. I think i wont get a new spring, and there are cameras in a better shape available.
As the camera cost only 9 euro, this is not much of a loss. I learned so much stuff about cameras, that was it worth.

Ricky
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 03:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But i got it working again by bending the spring, so the spring has more tension now, but does its job. Lets see how long it works.

Steve_s
Tinkerer

Post Number: 154

Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well done! Hope you get some good pictures. Prakticas are capable of excellent results, and so cheap at the moment it is difficult not to buy them.

As I said, I had an idea that might help if there is still a problem in the 1/30 and 1/15 speeds which I have added to my adjustment notes, though I have not tried it yet. If you wanted to try it you would only need a simple tester with a single photo-transistor for these slowish speeds.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration