Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Centon DF-300 (Minolta x-370) meter k... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Centon DF-300 (Minolta x-370) meter kaput? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 224

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 05:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just borrowed the mother-in-law's (no jokes!) camera - being an ecologist by trade, she has a very nice macro lens, and now that spring flowers are appearing... It's a Centon DF-300, a Minolta x-370 licence-built in China.

Unfortunately I think the meter has gone belly up, but I thought I'd check here in case anyone has a solution, or if there are any "gotchas" that might produce the same effect. In short, according to the instructions, in Auto mode there's a little red LED in the viewfinder that points upward and flashes to indicate over-exposure (paired with another pointing down for under-exposure). In manual, the speed set will flash and you should get a steady bar showing the meter reading. That's not lighting at all, whilst in auto the LED blinks whatever the light and aperture setting shutter just trips at what sounds like 1/1000 all the time.

I've tried new batteries (fresh from the pack), I've cleaned the contacts, removed and re-mounted the lens, with and without film - everything I can think of - with no joy.

Has anyone any bright ideas, or is it out with the hand-held lightmeter?

Adrian

Msiegel
Tinkerer
Username: Msiegel

Post Number: 83

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 06:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adrian,

have a look at that site:
http://www.geocities.com/eskoufos/fmm.html

You can find a x-300/X-370 service manual there. It's about 110 pages and has quite a large trouble shooting part naming all kind of misbehaviour and possible causes. Detailed drawings of the circuits are included. Maybe it helps.
Regards
Martin

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 225

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's great, Martin, thank you very much. I'll see if I can find a fix. Failing that, the original Minoltas aren't expensive on you-know-where, and the Centon version is even cheaper.

Adrian

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 84

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're welcome.
My clone is labelled Carena SX-300 - just in case you need another search string for you-know-where.

Martin

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 47

Posted on Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does your 370 clone advance the film or is it locked up - can't trip shutter, can't advance the film. You might try this. Remove the bottom plate and on the left side try and move some gears while advancing the film lever and/or pressing the shutter button. This will fire the shutter so you can advance the film. My Vivitar V50 [Chinese clone of 370] sometimes locks up and thats what I do to free it up. It's worth a try! Once they work, they do just fine.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 226

Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 03:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harlee, as far as I can tell without actually shooting a roll (I've put a junk roll in to check whether it needed film in, and it wound on OK) everything works except the meter.

So Minolta made them under two names... Then there's Centon, Carena, Vivitar V50... Is this the most cloned camera ever, I wonder?

Adrian

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 85

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

..and of course Zenit DF-300 (quite popular in South America) Revue DF-300 and various Seagull versions (DF-300 and others). Most of the Chinese clones come from Seagull and it looks like they stuck every label on them the customer wanted.
Minolta had the habit of naming models differently for different markets.
X-300 (Europe) - X-370 (USA)
x-500/x-570 (as above)
XD-11 (USA) = XD-7 (Rest of the world)
Or even the later autofocus cameras
Maxxum (USA) - Dynax (Europe)
Sometimes confusing - as there are a lot more than the above examples.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 227

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ow! I make it 16 possible failures that could cause the symptoms, according to the instructions - and I haven't been near a PCB with a soldering iron since I built a radio at school.

I think it's going to get used in manual mode with a hand-held lightmeter and, if she wants it sorted (luckily she rarely uses it - though that might be why it's died) I'll hit ebay. At least I have no shortage of brands to search for!

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 48

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm curious Adrian, will our shutter trip and can you advance the film? Very often, the 370 clones have a habit of locking up and you have to dislodge the gears so that you can trip the shutter and advance the film. If that's the case with your clone, the meter may be OK, but you may have to dislonge the the locking mechanism by moving a pawl which presses up against a winding gear. This will free up the camera, IF that's the problem!

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it may be electrical Capacitance may be problem since CHinese's no so good compare with Japanese in end of 80's to 90"s frist.
the out of order electrical Capacitance will affected the shutter does not work.

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 228

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter does work, and it does wind the film - I've just unloaded the film, set it to 1/4, and there is no doubt at all that the shutter opens and closes, and the mirror flaps, as they should. It seems to just be the meter that's misbehaving, nothing else. It sounds as though I've managed to find a unique malfunction - just my luck!

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 233

Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I've just got a roll of film back with 20-odd perfectly exposeed negs, one a little under-exposed, and two weird ones that I think might be a problem with the scan before printing. So the shutter definitely works, and my hand-held metering isn't too far off either.

Msiegel
Tinkerer

Post Number: 87

Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good news then.
rgds
Martin

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration