Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F3 HP metter operation Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikon F3 HP metter operation « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard123vmt
Tinkerer
Username: Richard123vmt

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking at a used Nikon F3. I have suceeded in getting the shutter to operate normally, but I see no sign of any mettering activity in the vierwfinder. I am not familiar withe the camera. Is there anything which could account for no LCD display visible other than camera malfunction? I am of course pressing down the shutter release part way.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 162

Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you checked that the battery is fresh? I have just acquired an F3 myself, and have not checked this (and can't do much about it now because there's film in it), but notice from the instruction manual that the only battery check provided is the presence of the LCD display itself. It may be that the display is designed to go out before the shutter stops working.

Although in your case there seems to be no display at all, I should also mention that the F3 will show a display but will not meter until the film counter reaches zero. If it's on automatic mode, the shutter speed will stay at 80. If on manual, it will show the speed, but will not display the metering + and - signs. This is not mentioned in the instructions.

Have you tried the self timer? It should light an LED on the front, and if you don't get that, I'd really suspect a bad battery.

The LCD is apparently a weak point on F3's (though from what I've read less so on later ones) and from the outset it was expected to need occasional replacement, so I would guess that would be the next thing to suspect.

Richard123vmt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I took the batteries from a different camera which worked but I did not actually try new batteries. What about the backlight switch designed for dim lighting? I didnt then know about that, But I am thinking it is probably the LCD display.

M_currie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 164

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The backlight switch is not very convenient, and in normal light it's almost impossible to see whether or not it's on. I also wouldn't count on its working in the first place. I would still try another set of batteries, just in case the display is purposely designed to go off when the batteries become dangerously low. Cheap alkalines should be good enough for a test.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 229

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the backlight switch is pretty useless - and I believe often fails. I would not rely on it as an indication of anything.

Other than that I can't help, though you might try the F3 group over on Flickr?...

M_currie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 165

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just looking at an F3 repair manual, and this also says that power is sufficient as long as the LCD display is showing. If you turn a functioning F3 on, and then off, you'll see that the display remains fully on for a period of time, and then goes off abruptly. It does not fade as LCD's often do when power dwindles. This leads me to believe that low batteries might very well douse the LCD display before killing the shutter.

Richard123vmt
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I did try it with some fresh batteries on my own, and whether it was that or some other error on my part, it does work so I bought it. I don't see anything happening with the dim light switch but I may not be doing that right either. Or it doesn't work, but a small defect. Thanks for the help.

M_currie
Tinkerer

Post Number: 167

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad it works. I've been enjoying mine greatly, and find it a very nice camera to use.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration