Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiev IIa shutter fix Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Kiev IIa shutter fix « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Blacknoise
Tinkerer
Username: Blacknoise

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

my kiev II (prewar contax copy) has developed an issue where the lower curtain drops when shutter speeds are changed (exposing part of the frame). How can I remedy this?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 816

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like the safety catch is not catching. This is a hook above the top center of the film opening which grabs a mating hook on the back of the shutter curtain (you can see the shutter-curtain side of this pair as you wind the shutter with the back off of the camera).

If you remove the film gate as shown in the top sketch at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-29.html , you will see the other hook hanging down right in the center. This retracts as you press the shutter release, before the shutter itself is tripped. It might be bent or for some other reason not engaging.

While you're in there, take a good look at your shutter ribbons to see what kind of shape they're in.

Blacknoise
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cool :-)

I'll have a look at it later. I also read that there is an eccentric screw that adjusts the pivot point of the catch, how to I reach this? and how should it be adjusted?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 818

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is an eccentric screw, located just above the pivot of the safety catch, but you can't reach it from that "quick access" sketch ... you have to remove the rangefinder housing to get at it. I have never had to adjust this personally, the only camera that I found with this problem had a slightly bent catch, that slipped over the hook on the shutter curtain instead of grabbing it. If that's your problem, you can bend it back into position from the above sketch... if that doesn't work, I can email you sketches for getting the top off.

Blacknoise
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sweet :-)

Thanks a lot :-)

I'll get back to you when I've had a look at it.

Blacknoise
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just had a look at it now and gave the catch a little bend inwards, seems to be running pretty smoothly now :-)

I'll run a roll through it when I get chance, but it looks pretty good :-)

Thanks a lot Rick.

Rob.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 820

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

way cool!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration