Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE1 - metering problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon AE1 - metering problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris_23
Tinkerer
Username: Chris_23

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 02:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a question that I would appreciate any help with.

I recently acquired a Canon AE-1 and for a while everything worked fine. Then the meter seen in the viewfinder started registering 'underexposed' for most shutter settings etc. The only asa/shutter settings that it seems to work for are very fast film speeds and slow shutter speeds i.e 3200 and the camera's B shutter speed setting. Anything below 1600 asa setting and a 1 second shutter speed setting and the needle does not rise above the lowest position regardless of the external lighting.

Is this likely to be the well documented tungsten wire problem and if so is this relatively easy to fix?

As I purchased the camera for next to nothing I am willing to open it up and attempt to fix the problem myself!

Thanks,

Chris

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 817

Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 - 04:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No idea here - I suppose the cable could have let go, I've never encountered that myself so I'm not sure what the symptoms look like. I do have some disassembly sketches that I can email to you if you like.

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 16

Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It IS probably the cable that runs from the speed mech. over to the spring loaded resistance wheel under the rewind mech. area. Unless you have a replacement cable, there's no point in disassembly of top. If it's not the cable, the cable can break if top is removed by novice. I have those cables. www.flcamerarepair.com

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 109

Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With respect - I suggest that if the cable were the problem then changing the ASA setting would have no effect whatever. The described fault phenomenon is very common in the AE-1. I have two such samples with this identical malfunction and which I have meticulously sleuthed over more hours than I care to admit. In the end it all came down to faulty IC's. The AE-1 really is an electronics nightmare - IMHO. The Bossman post re a gentle procedural let-down of the cable tension during removal the top-plate is also a dire warning to be heeded.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration