Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Argoflex E Lens Coordination Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Argoflex E Lens Coordination « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tomw
Tinkerer
Username: Tomw

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought an Argoflex E at an estate sale, shutter was gummed up with dried out oil. Disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. Shutter works fine now, but didn't think to count the number or turns on the taking and viewing lenses when I took it apart.

How do you coordinate the lenses when you put them back on? I'd hate to have the viewing lens in focus only to be taking fuzzy pictures... Thanks!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 824

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Find infinity focus (if possible) with each lens, and in each case mark the point of gear mesh with a Sharpie pen. Loosen the spanner ring holding the shutter so that you can disengage the gears, turn the gears so that the 2 Sharpie marks match, and retighten the shutter. Any distance other than infinity also works, as long as it's exactly the same for both lenses - it's easiest to be precise at infinity. These pages might help:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-54.html
http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-123.html

Tomw
Tinkerer
Username: Tomw

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Rick! I actually used your first page for disassembly. How do I find infinity focus? I'd imagine I can do that with the viewing lens just by focusing on something far off in the distance, but how do I do it with the taking lens?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 825

Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 04:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Look at the other link for the infinity focus part. You need a focusing target at the film plane: I use a piece of glass with Scotch tape stuck to one side, but you can also just stretch a strip of Scotch tape across the film rails if you stretch it tight so that it's flat in the film plane. Now use an SLR camera to sight back through the lens, and open the Argoflex shutter on "B" so you can see in. A locking cable release makes this easier. It's easest if you have a split image rangefinder in your SLR, you can use the edge of the Scotch tape as your target. If your SLR lens is set at infinity, then when the target comes up sharp your Argoflex lens is at infinity too. Doing the same thing on the viewing lens side, you have to use the texture of the groundglass as your focusing target.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration