Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM Film Speed Dial Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikon FM Film Speed Dial « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Noahlambert
Tinkerer
Username: Noahlambert

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I have managed to replace the broken film speed dial on my Nikon FM but I am having a hard time adjusting it. On this camera you pull up on the knob to manually adjust film speed. The problem is, while I was replacing the dial I lost track of in which position the film speed dial was in. Basically a groove in the knob acts on a lever under the knob. For all I know the knob has moved since. Is there a way to determine a correct film speed based on the meter? Meaning, can I meter a known light source and set the film speed to then and then reinstall the dial? Am I even making sense? Basically can I say at f/2.8 and shutter speed 200 pointed at this known light source equals a given film speed? Then I could set the dial correctly and screw it down.

Thanks,

Noah
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 826

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 04:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Sunny 16 rule may be your best quick-and-easy guide: on a bright sunny day, go outside and point your camera at an open patch of grass. Set the lens aperture to f/16, and adjust the meter until it indicates a correct exposure. Now, your ISO setting should be the same as your selected shutter speed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration