Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh XR-P Jammed? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Ricoh XR-P Jammed? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pghmtnbike
Tinkerer
Username: Pghmtnbike

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sold my old Ricoh XR-P to a friend of mine last week. I have not used this camera in quite awhile, but the last time I used it, it worked perfectly.

It has gone through periods of non-use before.

Anyway, my friend calls me to say that the film advance lever will not wind at all.

She replaced the batteries and clicked the shutter once, and after the shutter clicked the film advance lever will not advance. It behaves as if the camera had no batteries or was already cocked and ready to take a picture.

She can't load a roll of film because the lever will not advance the takeup reel.

Without having the camera in-hand I cannot think of anything to tell her to try.

I vaguely remember this happening to me before, making me think the camera was broken only to realize I had done something dumb or forgot to do something, something that made me say "DUH!" after the fact.

However, it has been awhile since I used the camera.

She is bringing it over to me tomorrow morning for me to look at and I am wondering if anyone on this forum would have any ideas for me as to why this would be happening.

If the camera is truly stuck, and locked up, is this a nightmare to take apart and fix? I am pretty handy with mechanical gadgets, but really would not even know what to look for if something really is jammed.

When I gave her the camera, there was film in it, so I rewound the canister and popped it out without any problems at all. The leader was stuck in the slot, but only because it had been bent from being in the camera over a year. I did not really try and force it out when winding it back into the canister, I just opened up the camera back and manually took the leader out of the takeup reel.

Is it possible that the takeup reel did not "rewind" all of the way and reset properly, thus causing the advance lever to become stuck?

If that is the case how do I go about resetting it so it is in sync again?

Any help would be appreciated. I cannot imagine this camera is BROKEN when it worked perfectly the last time I used it and it has been in storage ever since.

THANKS!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration