Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Problem with Retina IIa lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Problem with Retina IIa lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hobbes
Tinkerer
Username: Hobbes

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just bought a Retina IIa whose lens, I think, is infected with fungus. Am I right? Here's a picture of the lens. When one looks at the lens straight on, it's difficult to see the problem. Is this lens salvageable? How hard is it get inside and clean this out?

Thanks for your help.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 830

Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That looks awful! Yes, it looks like fungus. You can remove the cell from the shutter by just grabbing it and unscrewing it. Then open the shutter on B and take a good look at the rear cell. As for salvaging it, well, I'm not very hopeful, but you might as well at least pull it off and take a look.

The rear cell is harder to remove, just because of having to reach through from behind to unscrew it. There is a guy on eBay called "beljanmfg" who makes a special tool just for this Retina rear element ... I don't often go in for special tools, but this one is perfect for the job and worth getting even for just the one camera.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 281

Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once had an Olympic Sonnar that looked just like this , It didn't clean up. Too expensive to recoat.
Became a paper weight. Don

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 21

Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take a tiny punch (you might have to make one from a small metal rod; umbrella spokes cut off and sharpened are excellent!!) and tap gently the name ring in a counter-clockwise direction. It should loosen and allow you to lift out the element and attempt cleaning of fungus (use Sudsy Ammonia straight). The fungus looks like it may have eaten into the coating however. Art @ www.flcamerarepair.com

Hobbes
Tinkerer
Username: Hobbes

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I think the rear element is infected as well.

Steve_roberts
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_roberts

Post Number: 29

Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 05:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you sure it's not lens element separation, ie the cement giving up? It looks too regular a pattern to be fungus. The net result is probably the same, unfortunately.
Steve

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration