Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

First Post: Nikon F3 Mirror Stays Up Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » First Post: Nikon F3 Mirror Stays Up « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ccguy
Tinkerer
Username: Ccguy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Last time I used my F3 ( a year ago), it worked fine. Now the mirror won't come down. I cycled the shutter many times, cycled the mirror lock-up lever many times, but no go.

Am I missing something? Or must I take it to my friendly camera repair shop?

Thanks.

Vinzenz
Tinkerer
Username: Vinzenz

Post Number: 22

Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember that my old Nikon 801s did the same when the batteries were down. After new batteries were inserted the mirror swung down and everything went back to normal. But it seems that the shutter in your camera is still working, despite the locked mirror.

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 27

Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trying to picture the F3......may have this wrong but here goes! If your mirror has been stuck up for a year it may be nothing more than it being stuck into the mirror dampening material. Carefully pry it downward a bit and try to loosen it. If that's not it, did you turn the speed control to "M" setting and try unlocking that way? Thirdly (should have been first) make sure the batteries are good AND that there are NO spots of corrosion on the batts, between them or on the contacts or holder base. If some of the above does NOT apply to the F3, don't trash me.....haven't done one for several years!!

Ccguy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So here I am, about to try Bossman's "M" setting suggestion. I remove the lens mount cap, and there is the mirror! So maybe all the cycling had an effect after all. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 34

Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't forget to look into the suggestion of the sticky mirror damping! F3s are by now the age where that usually becomes an issue.

Sevo

Ccguy
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sevo, that was precisely the problem. The mirror had little specks of black material along its bottom edge. A very light swipe with a tissue removed them.

Hmmm ... will this problem get worse? At the very least, I won't store it with the lens in the up position. But it may get to the point where the mirror stays up between shots. Then what?

Mike

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 34

Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Send me your address and I'll mail you a replacement strip for your mirror mech. Art @ www.flcamerarepair.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration