Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FA rewind knob thread Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikon FA rewind knob thread « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Justadab
Tinkerer
Username: Justadab

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I have a broken rewind knob on my Nikon FA. I've gotten a lot of good use out of this camera, but as I purchased it for under $100 on ebay several years ago (lens and all), having it repaired professionally is not within my price range.

My question is, what is the interchangeability of Nikon rewind knobs as far as the size of the thread is concerned? Affordable replacement knobs are listed on ebay fairly frequently but none for the FA. I'm not too fussed about authenticity as long as I can rewind my film in a reasonable way.

Can I substitute another Nikon F-series knob? In particular I am looking at a listing for one from an F4.

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 30

Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello: If I can find my FA somewhere in my "warehouse" (that's a joke), I'll be able to answer your question and indeed sell you a knob that will work!! Be back Friday!@www.flcamerarepair.com

Justadab
Tinkerer
Username: Justadab

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

More information:
The rewind stud looks like metric M3, and has about 5mm of thread protruding. The shank below is 4.3mm diameter or so.

The rewind knob is part of a 4 part assembly - The alloy knob itself, the hinged lever, A spatula shaped spring and a thick 2.2mm washer.

So the question boils down to, are Nikon knobs all M3, what about other common brands (Canon/Pentax)?
Again, I have 5mm of stud to work with and I'm not too fussed about appearance/clearance. Anything that can go on 5mm or M3 thread and keep the rewind shaft from falling out is good for me.

Sillyconguru
Tinkerer
Username: Sillyconguru

Post Number: 23

Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would imagine that the rewind knob on the FA uses the same thread as many other SLRs (it looks the same) but some models have a female threaded rewind shaft (as opposed to the FA's male threaded shaft).

The knob on my EM broke and I fitted one from a Praktica LTL3 and then a Chinon CP-6 (the Chinon one looked better) to it. As the EM has a female threaded shaft (possibly because the knob is plastic), I had to insert a small length of threaded stud into the rewind knob (and wind a nut onto this to space the knob off the shaft) in order to convert it. The FA uses a spacer between the shaft and knob, so I would think that something like the Chinon one I used would fit straight on (and not look to out of place).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration