Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Compur Rapid issues Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Compur Rapid issues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Johnphoto

Post Number: 16

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 10:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Compur Rapid (#0 size) that arrived firing at the same speed b through 200; faster on 400. I thought a naptha flood cleaning might fix it, but no joy. I notice a spring that didn't seem to be attached to anything at one end. Normal?

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 32

Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that spring is correct....if you turn the speed ring in your photo all the way counter-clockwise, it engages that "mystery spring" for the kick needed for the 1/400 speed setting (or whatever the top speed is). As far as the other problem goes.....without seeing it, I just don't know. Look to see if the various parts of the slow-speed-geartrain are working.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 835

Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 04:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The escapement that controls the speeds from 1 to 1/200 second are around to the right, about at the 3:00 position in your photo. Here is a general map showing which things are where (they do vary a bit from one shutter to another, but most of the major stuff stays pretty much the same)

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/compur1.jpg

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration