Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FTb inaccurate meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon FTb inaccurate meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ohm
Tinkerer
Username: Ohm

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon FTb QL that I picked up from an antique shop a while ago that the meter doesn't seem to give an accurate reading, very low in comparison to my TLb, both have new batteries. The meter reads and the battery check switch indicates that the battery is good, it just seems to not be powering the rest of the meter circuitry or something is off inside. I had it apart once and one of the wires to the hot shoe had obviously been played with, much shorter then the other ect. Should I try removing the top again and adjusting the three pots on the meter? Or might there be something else wrong with it?

Thanks

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 132

Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you might have messed up the meter to shutter speed dial linkage- the position of the rack and pinion behind the prism...

Ohm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure because the meter well change as you change the shutter speed, just acts like the battery is not there, but I well look into this as well. I think I just need to take it apart again and check all the wires again.

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 133

Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the needle moves as you change the shutter speed, but it does not respond to light?

the linkage from shutter speed dial to meter is tricky. if it's not set properly, everything will be off by some margin...
(not sure how it's done either. a friend has my other FTb, the one I've got now is not set right)

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 35

Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Start with the battery well and check for ANY corrosion in the cover or contact; then afterr you remove top, touch a solder gun on all the solder points; check the contacts directly behind battery well for corrosion.......seems like over the years I've had many FT's that had corrosion problems there. If none of the above helps, the meter movement itself may be bad and you are then out of luck unless you have a parts FT (I do!!) Art @ www.flcamerarepair.com

Ohm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The meter responds to light and it well change if you change the iso setting but it doesn't read properly.

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 55

Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds as though the metering rack is out of alignment, it is easy to put right.

There are 3 points that need to be brought into alignment. First off you will notice that the geared sector that is attached to the top of the meter housing has a small hole in the bottom corner.

Secondly, notice that the geared rack is guided by a cross-head screw.

Thirdly, and this will take a bit of looking, notice that the rack has a small timing dot under one of the teeth, probably the 4th counting from the right.

When the hole, the timing dot, and the screw are all aligned this corresponds to a setting of 1/1000 second and 100 asa.

So when the shutter speed dial is set to those settings the small tab underneath should slip into one of the 4 slots in the plastic coupling disk. You may notice that the slot the tab fits into has already been marked by a felt-tip pen.

Recheck the alignment before attaching the top cover.

Ohm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks I well check that out.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration