Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SR-T SUPER light meter doesn'... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta SR-T SUPER light meter doesn't work « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gundamyang2
Tinkerer
Username: Gundamyang2

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 06:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Minolta SR-T SUPER light meter doesn't work
i have buy a old SR-T SUPER
i change a new battery, but the light meter doesn't work, how can i repair it?

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 132

Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you turn the meter switch on the baseplate to BC, does the needle move at all? If it doesn't, clean the battery contacts first. There are a lot of different problems that could cause this, so you need to go one step at a time.

Gundamyang2
Tinkerer
Username: Gundamyang2

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i turn it to BC, the needle doesn't move,
i have try to clean the battery contacts, but no effect

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 36

Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sir: As "Mndean" said there are many things that can cause your meter to be dead. Here's one more easy one you can try: Remove the bottom plate and check the contact surface under the switch and also the contacts that "brush" on that surface may be corroded. Beyond that, you're going to have to take the top off and i'm not sure you are wanting to get that "deep" into the camera.

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 133

Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As long as the battery you bought is good, it's got to be one of a few things. Either a wire is corroded and voltage isn't going to the meter, the metering needle is stuck because of old foam interfering with the needle, or a contact from the switch in the baseplate isn't contacting the connections properly in the base of the camera. An easy way to check the metering needle is to slap the camera hard and see if that gets the needle unstuck. If the needle will move, but drifts back to the same position as before, then likely no voltage is getting to the meter. The baseplate is easy to remove and you can check the strips of metal that contact the switch to see if they're okay.

After those two tests, it gets a little harder, and you likely will have to remove the top plate of the camera to repair it. Even bad foam requires you remove the top plate to clean it out. I don't recommend doing that if you have no experience.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration