Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Clean mirror of used Nikon FE2 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Clean mirror of used Nikon FE2 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Walvis
Tinkerer
Username: Walvis

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 06:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought a Nikon FE2 which is in fine working condition. However, the mirror seems to be dirty and dusty. Given that I have only DSLR experience I wonder whether there is a simple way to clean the mirror without damaging it - alternatively, Nikon still offers a repair service - so would you suggest a DIY approach or sending it in to Nikon directly

James_stan
Tinkerer
Username: James_stan

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's tricky not to get smears but you can try this..

.. cut a small piece of lens tissue approx the size of the mirror and lay loosely on top leaving a small overlap at the front.
Use a cotton bud or dropper to dampen the tissue
with denatured alchohol/ronsonol.
Pull the tissue SLOWLY to the front of the mirror
at the rate that the alchohol can evaporate.
Repeat if necessary..

BINGO

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 37

Posted on Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been cleaning mirrors for about 35 years and found this to be the best for me: (1) take a very fine tiny brush, clean of course, and carefully brush away any grit or dirt that will damage surface (2) using either a Q-tip or very small piece of lintless cotton cloth (t-shirt 100% cotton, very good) and a drop of Sudsy amonia, gently wipe the surface (3) if necessary to remove any streaks (if none, quit!!) breathe on the mirror and using another new Q-tip (or another piece of cotton cloth) gently wipe until perfect!! I have NEVER liked lens tissue or lens cleaner. Art wwwflcamerarepair.com

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 532

Posted on Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would echo Art's advice. Lens tissue is likely to scratch the surface unless used correctly, and an initial clean with a water based medium is likely to remove more muck than first cleaning with a solvent. I use a fine micro-fibre lens cloth, dampened with a weak solution of a pure liquid detergent. The mirror can then be dried by wiping over with a micro-fibre cloth 'dampened' with pure ethyl alcohol, if required. (Note - Some denaturing agents can leave marks on the surface as the alcohol evaporates.)

If one must use lens tissue, roll the piece into a tight cylinder and then tear the cylinder in half. The resulting soft fibrous ends can be then used to clean the lens etc, by using a gentle brushing motion

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration