Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Dark Room Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Dark Room « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Higuy
Tinkerer
Username: Higuy

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I realize this site is for cameras but on a related matter need your advise on whether or not to build a dark room for B&W prints. I'm a novice at this, and wonder if this is still possible? Equipment and chemicals still available? Any good internet sites for plans and constructions? I'm tired of Wallmart & others quality & prices.
I want to return to "grass roots" methods. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you-Guy

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 282

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There certainly are, You might try Free-Style they sell chemicals, paper ,equipment, Books . I still have and use my darkroom. I gave up for a while and got lazy but reallized the quality of automated labs to be in need of improving. Don

Ohm
Tinkerer
Username: Ohm

Post Number: 12

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah go for it, check craigslist locally for equipment, I got my enlarger and a bunch of other things like safe lights, a older Paterson system 4 developing tank ect for about $50. I have sheet of plywood that I cut to fit over about 2/3's of my bath tub for the three trays and I have a large dish pan in the bottom with the tap going a little to wash the prints. All the small bits go in a plastic crate and the it all goes nicely into the closet when not in use. I also for 35mm well just go and develop the negs and use a film negative scanner to scan them into my computer.

Dragunov
Tinkerer
Username: Dragunov

Post Number: 136

Posted on Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

in here (Ottawa) chemicals are easy to obtain- the good photo stores have 'em. trays and developing tanks and stuff are best bought used, as the others said, many have gone digital. I got my stuff for free.

and if it sounds scary, it's pretty easy! I did my first two rolls yesterday and the day before, and didn't botch them. it's pure magic!

Vinzenz
Tinkerer
Username: Vinzenz

Post Number: 24

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 03:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There has been no better time than now to put together your own darkroom since most photographers go digital and throw their analogue gear out!

Check the used market, it is full of excellent equipment. Look out for good quality like e.g. Durst enlargers, Schneider Componon S, Rodenstock Rodagon or Nikon EL lenses.

Search for online darkroom manuals. There are many good and quite extensive pdf booklets which explain the setup and basic techniques. One of the best books (not online) in my opinion is Tim Rudman's ''Photographer's Master Printing Course'', still available.

Just recently I have discovered a very easy and cheap darkroom lamp: red LED spot lamps which screw into standard E27 bulb sockets. Most of them have ten to thirty LEDs which offer a rather bright light with a narrow spectrum. Used as reflected light from the ceiling or wall it should be safe with black and white paper, but do a test to be sure.

Good luck and enjoy!

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 27

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Analog Photographers User Group http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php is a good place for "everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask"

Higuy
Tinkerer
Username: Higuy

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These comments are very encouraging. I want to thank all. I'll pursue suggestions and really looking forward to this new hobby. Thanks again-Guy

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 240

Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Keep us posted - you are not the only one looking at setting up a darkroom!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration