Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya Press film back problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Mamiya Press film back problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markus
Tinkerer
Username: Markus

Post Number: 108

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 08:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Mamiya Standard 23 Press camera (with back movements) and just bought a very nice black 6x9 film back. The problem is that that particular back does not quite fit onto the back of the camera. The older 6x7 back fits quite nicely.

I can 'slide' the 6x9 back in and then push it down with about 1 mm to go before the two locks on the bottom of the camera can be locked. The back is just a bit too big to fit into the frame of the camera back. The older back seems a bit worn, and I think that's why it fits. There is a metal lip at the top back of the camera that the back is slid underneath and I think it might have to be adjusted, however, it is painted (the original gray camera paint), so probably it is not meant to be messed with.

Perhaps there is some other trick to make the film back fit?

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 36

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Graflok (RB) or Mamiya (Press) back and camera? Either were built in both variations - and mixing them won't work...

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 109

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good point, but this is a Mamiya Press back AND camera. It almost fits, but not quite.

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 37

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the seals ok? Very old backs have wool thread seals, but the majority have foam rubber, which will have hardened or gummed up by now. And replacements sometimes are wrong in size.

Markus
Tinkerer

Post Number: 110

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I figured it out. The back had gummed up foam seals which I cleaned and replaced with new ones from Aki Asahi. They fit perfectly, by the way.

The problem seems to be that the previous owner of the camera had tried to make it look nicer by painting much of the mount black. This made the opening a small bit smaller, enough to prevent my 6x9 back from fitting. Now that I've scraped off some of that paint, the back fits, albeit quite tightly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration