Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rangefinder Adjustment/Alignment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Rangefinder Adjustment/Alignment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jpa66
Tinkerer
Username: Jpa66

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just recently gotten into rangefinders. I've been a long-time shooter of slr's, as well as the infrequent medium format camera.

I recently obtained a Konica Auto S2, which (I discovered through the aide of others) needed to have the rangefinder mirror re-glued. I did that, but now cannot properly adjust the viewer.

I did do a search on this forum, and I know how I'm SUPPOSED to adjust the thing, but for some reason, only the horizontal is aligned - I can't seem to properly adjust the vertical. The image remains too high, and when I turn the screw to adjust it, it goes down only so far, then does nothing.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, as I'm beginning to wonder if I was correct in shunning rangefinders all these years...

JP

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 843

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like you got it glued in crooked. Go back and take a look ... the mirror must be perfectly flat on its mount, no lumps of glue or anything under it. It has a little bit of vertical adjustment available, but not enough to make up for a crooked mirror.

Jpa66
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Jpa66
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 07:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I took off the mirror and scraped all traces of glue from it and the area it's mounted on, glued it in with minimal amounts of glue, and the vertical adjustment is still way off. Could I be putting the mirror in upside-down? I'm gluing it in with the beveled side up, which I think is correct. It also appears to be centered.

Any other opinions, especially from people with an S2, would be very welcome, as the camera is testing my patience ( and nearing the scrap heap... ).

JP

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration