Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon EM: jumpy meter quick fix Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikon EM: jumpy meter quick fix « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer
Username: Sauli_särkkä

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I received a Nikon EM body in pristine condition a while back, but there were problems with the light meter. The meter needle wouldn't respond to basically anything and when it rarely did, it was just a small jump here and there.

So, off came the mount and front plate, etc. I took a few snaps of the process: http://www.saulisarkka.com/gallery/Other/Nikon%20EM/slides/DSC_5897.html

..and now, the camera has been working since then. So far, that is. I know it probably won't be a final fix, but at least that little while spent fixing the camera brought it back to life.

-Sale

Marty
Tinkerer
Username: Marty

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very nice! Those EM's are wonderful little cameras. I got hooked on 'em back when they first came out, and now I wind up buying bodies off ebay just to use. :-)
Marty

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The one above is actually the one I'm selling right now. I had to re-think selling the all-black 50mm Series E lens and decided to keep it, since it looks so nice..especially with a black body.

I have one EM that looks like it hasn't been used. Ever. Even the lens mount looks brand new, when looking closely.

Too bad the postage rates to the US are terrible..I'd sell you that body for a fair price ;)

-Sale

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 850

Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't sell yourself short, that's a good fix. Usually (especially in a camera like an EM which is not likely to get worn out) the problem is dirt rather than wear or damage, and you found it and fixed it. The camera should be good for several generations of that treatment, and since it took about 30 years to get to the state it was in, that's a very respectable life.

Marty
Tinkerer

Post Number: 16

Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd probably buy the thing, but I just picked one up, and like you say, the postage would be bad. Funny, I guess they're "vintage" now, but I bought my first one when they first came out, and I still love to use 'em. They're small and simple, but still give you a lot of control.
Marty

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the EM lock metering in when the button is half-pressed or do you have to turn the ISO/ASA dial to set EV +/- ?

-Sale

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 851

Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mine does not appear to lock the meter needle button when you press the SR halfway. It does have the little blue "backlight compensation" button, but that doesn't hold a reading either - it just adds 1.5 stops to the exposure.

(the blue button is silver on yours, on the left front - mine is an earlier camera)

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That backlight compensation feature was new to me, never really had time to think about what that button was for :-)

-Sale

Marty
Tinkerer

Post Number: 17

Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The EM was Nikon's entry into the inexpensive public SLR market. They have their limitations, and aren't built with the quality of more expensive Nikons. They have no manual overide of the "automatic" feature that makes them attractive to wide public use. However, you can have pretty good control by either setting F stops and letting the camera choose the shutter speed, or choosing a shutter speed by watching the meter and turning the F stop til you get what you want. Beyond that, you have to either trust the little backlight button, or lie to the camera by resetting the ASA dial. Still, they're small, light, and very handy. Mine gets mounted on my telescope, used with extension rings for close-ups, and used for just about anything I get picky about. :-)
Marty

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration