Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FD 300mm lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon FD 300mm lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Artisticwoods
Tinkerer
Username: Artisticwoods

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I purchased a Canon 300mm lens FD, and the aperture ring is not working. I would like to try and repair it, but am leery about this, as I have heard that there are ball bearings in that area. I don't have a manual for repairing the lens and don't know if one is available. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Richard
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 538

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,

The Canon lens repair manuals are somewhat complicated, there is a general manual that is written round the standard lens. Then there are some detailed adjustment notes for each type of lens - wide angle, tele and zooms accompanied by what are basically exploded parts diagrams for each lens.

Apart from the odd detent ball, the ball bearings are only associated with FDn lenses fitted with the 1.4 Type Mount - this mount first appeared on the f1.4 50mm and the rear projecting operating levers run on ball races. The other mount is the 1.8 Type - as fitted to the FDn f1.8 50mm, the levers just run in grooves in the rear mount. The 1.4 mount is fitted to most tele lenses and the more expensive offerings in the other focal lengths, the rather crude 1.8 type has very limited use.

The good news is that you can remove the inner part of the mount as a complete unit. Remove the 3 radial screws that retain the stainless steel bayonet ring in the rear of the lens - these screws are tight, use a well fitting screwdriver and do not wreck the screw-heads! Pull/lever out the bayonet ring and then lift out the inner part of the mount (with the levers) as a complete unit. Do not split the two halves of the removed inner unit - you will be hunting for approx 100 steel balls!!

Which 300mm lens is this? I will have to dig my manuals out, so give me a couple of days. The problem is that the 'manuals' are really just an 'aid memoir' for a trained technician, so the exploded diagrams are somewhat misleading sometimes. Send me a PM if you need further help and I will get back to you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration