Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-M Shutter and lub Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta XG-M Shutter and lub « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephenl
Tinkerer
Username: Stephenl

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've fixed a few issues on my one of my old Minolta XG-M bases but there is one issue left I'm struggling with.

I have a base which I've fixed the ASA, replaced two capacitors, changed the light seals, but it seems to consistently underexpose, even when the meter is giving me correct values. I suspect the shutter may be slow.

I had pulled the bottom off the XG-M hoping to see a place where the shutter curtain might be snugged up or bearing lubricated but couldn't really make heads or tails out of anything along those lines.

Can someone here direct me to some possible adjustment points or lubrication points for the shutter that aren't too difficult to access?

My home email is disposable12@comcast.net if you prefer to email me.

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 23

Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Stephen. Have you checked the lens to be sure the aperture is nice and snappy? A sluggish aperture can have the same effect as a slow shutter (overexposure). Good luck...

Jon

Stephenl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Jon,

You have a good thought there. I'll take the camera out tomorrow with a number of lenses and try them on. See if that one particular zoom has issues or if the problem is consistent between lenses.

Are you the fellow I bought some capacitors from for the XG-M over on ebay? Are you planning to offer up any more? I've got a few more bases to open and I suspect more capacitors to replace.

Jon_goodman
Tinkerer
Username: Jon_goodman

Post Number: 24

Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I used to sell those capacitors for my cost (which was about 50 or 60 cents each), but I haven't had any for a while. A fellow in the Ukraine bought all the last ones I had some time back. I didn't sell them on E-Bay, but I did offer them on this and other forums. If you know the values and the canister sizes, you can easily order them from Mouser. I do sell light seal kits on E-Bay, however.

Try the lens off the camera...just flick the aperture lever and see if the leaves are quick and crisp or sluggish. The reason I mention this is that some of the Minolta lenses (particularly the 1.7 and 58mm 1.4) are famous for oily aperture leaves. That will mimic a slow shutter in some cases and in others will create an odd "halo" as the exposure picks up the aperture in slow motion. Just something to consider. Having said all of this, a few years ago I repaired maybe 30 or so of the X-series cameras, and I learned you will run across one every once in a while that suffers odd (and untraceable) electronic problems. I have an XG-1 I was never able to make work right, even though all indications were on track. Good luck.
Jon

Stephenl
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took the camera out and shot with a wide variety of lenses. To me, they were all coming out a bit under exposed. And I don't see this issue with my other XG-M bases. I may hang on to this base, I have some repair material coming in for the XG-M to supplement the service manual. Next winter when I have more down time I might attempt working on the shutter. On the up side, all the lenses seemed to function about the same.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 133

Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can adjust the shutter speeds and the light meter with the small variable resistors that are on the flex circuit that wraps over the prism.

You will need some sort of a light standard and a shutter speed tester to to do this properly. In my experience, you will be wasting your time working on the shutter. Mechanically, it rarely gives trouble.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration