Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing PaX rewind knob Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Removing PaX rewind knob « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark_workman
Tinkerer
Username: Mark_workman

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a first model PaX (looks like a Leica screwmount) that my Dad bought while in the service in Japan in the 1950's. It has the common malady with the frozen barrel assembly, but I think I have enough information from Rick Oleson's recent post to tackle that. I'm trying to remove the top plate to get at the rangefinder linkage but cannot figure how to remove the rewind knob. The knob is working fine. There is a screw on the inside of the fork that screws up toward the rewind knob on top. But removing the screw does not release the knob or the fork. I've tried securing the fork and unscrewing the grip knob like the film advance knob does with no success. I haven't taken any pictures of the post/fork assembly but will take some and make available to examine if that would help. Thanks for any help on this.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 853

Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my PaX M2, and I suspect in your PaX 1, that screw does release the knob ... but like everything else on the camera, it's all glued together into a single block of brass-reinforced oil sludge. As in a Leica, the knob lifts up a half inch or so to clear the top cover for rewinding; the screw stops it when it reaches the top of this travel. In mine, the knob did not lift at all, because it was glued to the cylinder it was supposed to slide in. If yours behaves similarly, remove the screw, invert the camera and drip a bit of Xylene into the screw hole and let it soak a while ... then the knob should pull right off.

Under the knob is (on mine) a collar that unscrews to permit removal of the rangefinder housing. You also have to remove a similar collar around the shutter release button, and a screw that's hidden under the accessory shoe.

Mark_workman
Tinkerer
Username: Mark_workman

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick, that was the ticket for getting that separated. Everything is stripped out now and cleaned. The brass post that holds the rangefinder mirror was also frozen, and the linkage that moves the mirror post doesn't seem to be accessible except through the screw mounting holes for the rangefinder assembly on top. I did get it freed up with numerous applications of lighter fluid. For the lens assembly I went straight for the xylene where it is now soaking. The shutter is flushed and the blades will move manually but will not trip using the shutter mechanism. I'll probably be back here on that one. Thanks again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration