Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 RC frame counter + meterin... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus 35 RC frame counter + metering problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer
Username: Sauli_särkkä

Post Number: 15

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 02:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought an Olympus 35 RC off the German 'bay and it seems that the frame counter is stuck. Even though I've gone through the same mechanics on the Petri 7S, I haven't even touched any screws on this Oly just yet. Perhaps I'm being lazy..? ;)

At least it seems that the reset thingy inside the top light baffle groove is intact and moving sort of freely. I'll compare it to another unit once I get the chance to do so.

The metering also seems to be off, but that's going to be re-examined properly once I get the correct kind of Zinc-Air battery.

-Sale

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I managed to repair both problems.

The frame counter didn't want to work because the spring on the counter dial had slipped out of the hole on the frame counter disc and the mechanism had completely jammed, also preventing a proper reset motion. A little bit of
- fabricating a two-pronged tool to open those funky screws
- isopropyl alcohol
- cotton swabs
- careful jiggling
- removing the dial (the screw has a reverse thread, just like the self-timer lever)
- hunting for the popped-off spring on the floor of my hobby room
- figuring out the proper way to hook the spring into the mechanism and lastly
- a tiny drop of gun oil designed for arctic use made it all nice and smooth once more.

The metering problem solved itself when I popped in a battery from another RC that I had film-tested and was working properly.

I'm really liking this tinkering with rangefinders and it wasn't until about a month ago that I got my first rangefinder..now I have a number nearing ten, but will aim to only keep 1-2 of each model and service and re-sell the rest to other RF hobbyists. (Anyone in need of a 35 RC in good condition..? ;) )

What's next? This RC and at least one other RC of my four needs some TLC in the form of new light seals. Good thing Jon Goodman's seal kit is adequate to handle several cameras.. ;) (Thanks again, Jon! I tested the Petri 7S I re-did with film --> no light leaks :-) )

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 21

Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This RC now has new light seals and is naked, waiting for new covering. Time will tell what's in store for this one ;)

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer

Post Number: 24

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 02:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, time told what was in store after getting this baby back into very usable condition.. ;)

http://www.saulisarkka.com/gallery/Cameras/slides/skin3.html

Put it up on eBay to see what'll happen. The pink Petri brought in just about enough to cover the expenses put into it, so not much of a win, but something that'll facilitate this new wing of the hobby.

-Sale

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration