Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 101 - Stuck Shutter/Broke... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta SRT 101 - Stuck Shutter/Broken Self-Timer/DOF Preview Weirdness « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mumblyjoe22
Tinkerer
Username: Mumblyjoe22

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found an SRT-101 at a thrift store a few weeks ago that has been working fine up until tonight. I used the self-timer (not the first time I used it) and the shutter did not fire during its turn. Then I found that the shutter would not fire when pressed either, despite the fact the film was advanced. After fiddling around with it for a while, I got the shutter to fire only to have it be stuck again when I advanced the film. After even more fiddling, I discovered that the shutter only seemed to fire if I ran the self-timer, THEN pressed the Depth of Field preview button a few times, THEN pressed the shutter. I know that seems strange but it seemed to work 4 out of 5 times, and the shutter otherwise does not fire at all. Does anyone know anything about what might be causing this problem and how it could be fixed? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 59

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The selftimer is usually blameless when cameras jam up. It sounds as though the stop-down mechanism has gotten out of synch. I had a similar problem with a 303 that required major disassembly, you don't want to do that!

It is also possible that the release lock is binding. That is easier to fix. First off check that there is no corrosion or leakage near the battery compartment. Unscrew the baseplate and examine the area round the plastic ring that holds the battery. Remove the 3 screws holding the ring but leave the wire in place. See if any of the levers are rusted or contaminated. They should all move freely.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration