Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa Karat 36 Repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Agfa Karat 36 Repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Antonandreas
Tinkerer
Username: Antonandreas

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

Many web searches led me to this forum while trying to learn how to CLA the Karat 36. Thank you for the information.

This is the first camera I am attempting a CLA with, so I am a little unsure of myself on this one, but decided to give it a go instead of sending it off to someone else.

Does anyone know how to adjust the rangefinder? I can not find any information on this for this camera, and especially since the rangefinder is rather unique, I just don't want to go about tightening or loosening screws without any knowledge of what I am doing.

What would you do if the screw you have to tighten does not screw in any further?

Thank you,

Anton

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 26

Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you mean how to op-eration or resetting the finder?

what wrong you camera?

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 27

Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MANULS
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/karat_36/karat_36.htm
setting
https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/14867.html?1237811336
hope help you

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 32

Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have restored a couple of Karats, but it's been a year or so. Wish I could give you some specific tips, but I don't recall exactly where the two adjusting screws are, but as you perhaps already know, there is usually one screw that adjusts the vertical and another screw for the horizontal. As I recall, both screws are accessible once the top cover is off. I found them, so it can't be that hard.

Whatever adjustment is necessary, it will likely require less than one full turn of the screw, so I don't think you have to worry about accidentally ruining something.

One way is to turn the screw while looking through the RF, and then you should be able to see whether it's the vertical or the horizontal screw you are turning.

In general, you also want to make sure that the spring-loaded RF mechanism is moving freely, and it sometimes helps to add one drop of solvent (lighter fluid) at the various pivots, then move the focus from close to infinity a few times to check the action.

Antonandreas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leesobing - thank you for those resources.

Scott - Thank you for the information. When you mean the top cover, you mean opening up the small compartment above the rangefinders and not just the top top cover, correct?

Scott
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, "top cover" usually means the whole metal piece that covers the entire top of the camera body. On the Karat, when you remove the top cover, you can see the whole shutter-cocking mechanism and RF unit.

On some 1960 and 1970s RF cameras, you can get access to the RF adjusting screws by removing the accessory shoe or some other plate, but I believe on the Karat, you have to remove the whole top cover.

Antonandreas
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for clearing that up. I do have the top cover off, so I will just have to screw around (ha!) figuring out which ones calibrates the rangefinder.

would a picture help jog your memory?
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_0ZpV1BBxdk8/SdjJM190A1I/AAAAAAAADmw/4n1ZeOiroEQ/s912/DSC_0 008.JPG

Thank you,

Anton

Scott
Tinkerer

Post Number: 34

Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I can't recall exactly where the tro adjusting screws are on mine.

I do recall that the RF mechanism comes off as a intact unit. It is held down by 2 or 3 screws. It also covers the shutter-cocking gear train, and has to be taken off anyway if you want to re-lube that part.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration