Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri 7S rangefinder: vertical alignment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Petri 7S rangefinder: vertical alignment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer
Username: Sauli_särkkä

Post Number: 18

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 06, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I realized I had a problem with one of my Petri rangefinders, when I compared focusing on small contrasty objects: one of them never matched the items in the split image vertically.

I tried to look for a service manual or a thread explaining the adjustment, but wasn't lucky enough to find one, so out comes my trusty screwdriver.

I assumed that the rangefinder's vertical collimation would be a quick thing to re-adjust, since I wouldn't be touching the focus, but only the vertical alignment. Seeing as this operation must be one of the most common "repairs" done on rangefinders, I decided to look under the cold shoe if the adjustment could be done from there.

And it could. (yay!)

There seemed to be one screw that I assumed to be the focus adjustment and two holes on a piece of metal that held the small mirror of the rangefinder that turned out to be what I was looking for. I put a small screwdriver into one of the holes and assumed that the fore-aft -direction would be the one I needed to fiddle with, since it would logically account for the vertical reflection angle of that small mirror.

A few bends in the right direction while looking through the viewfinder and the adjustment was done.

That's one small thing learned about rangefinders, another quick fix that won't require the assistance of professional repair shops.

If anyone wants pictures, I think I can snap a handful in the near future.

-Sale

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration