Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

PaX shutter is clean but doesn't fire... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » PaX shutter is clean but doesn't fire - have a look « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark_workman
Tinkerer
Username: Mark_workman

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the first shutter job for me and it's simple, but I need some education. The blades are cleaned and will open easily manually and will flip back closed fine with the return spring tension. After playing with it and seeing what things do for a while, I find that there just no spring tension that opens the shutter when it is triggered - it just sits there like nothing happened while everything else moves. Am I missing a part here? I've reassembled with all the springs and followers in the ss cams, etc. but still nothing. I can't find an image of a PaX shutter (and don't have enough experience yet) so can't tell if some part is missing. Thanks for any help.

PaX shutter

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 61

Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 04:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The only PaX pictures I know of are here http://homepage1.nifty.com/fukucame/tips/pax35_t.htm (maybe of little or no help, even after auto translating the Japanese text into English). You could try and find info on YAMATO OPTICAL, the long gone maker of the PaXes.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 855

Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow... that is a TOTALLY different shutter from the one in my PaX M2, the only thing they look to have in common is that they're both round.

If everything is moving very easily, I would look for a missing, broken or misconnected spring. Work through the sequence of operation and see which lever would make it fire, if only it had something pushing it in the right direction. Shutters are a balance of a number of springs working against each other, so one being too strong or too weak can stop it. There is the spring that recloses the blades, which has to be able to overcome the friction in the system ... then the one that returns the speed delay gears to their ready position, which has to be able to overcome the friction and intertia in the gears; and then the one that opens the blades, which has to be strong enough to overpower both of the above at the same time and still move the blades quickly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration