Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Removing old grease from helicals Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Removing old grease from helicals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wondered what people use to get rid of old grease from helicals? I've done it succesfully by completely stripping out the parts and using detergent but wondered what could be used if a complete strip down was not possible, or difficult.

Brianshaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 50

Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used naptha-moistened Q-tips.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 542

Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You cannot re-grease the helical properly without completely stripping it down - so just use solvent naphtha/lighter fluid and a tooth brush on the disassembled parts prior to re-greasing and assembly. Taking short cuts in cleaning/relubing lens helicals is just asking for trouble.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 03:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>You cannot re-grease the helical properly without completely stripping it down

I assume you actually mean splitting the helicals which, of course, is true. But there may be other parts still attached which prevent complete submersion in detergent as I've done previously.

>Taking short cuts in cleaning/relubing lens helicals is just asking for trouble.

Who said anything about taking short cuts? Completely dissasembling a lens is hardly a short cut. I'm merely looking for possible alternatives.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 856

Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're all right (I think that's a quote from 'Fiddler on the Roof'): complete disassembly is the only way to do a really proper job, and Naphtha on a cotton swab is an effective cleaner, and I have encountered a time or two when I have simply been unable, for one reason or another, to disassemble a lens for a proper cleaning and relube. You can effect some degree of improvement by cleaning and relubing the helical that you can expose and working the new lube in repeatedly ... both the solvent and the lubricant will spread partway into the inaccessible part of the helical. This is never comparable to a proper job, both because you get neither the dirt out nor the new lubricant in to all of the areas where it needs to go, and also because more often than not there are other areas that you haven't even gotten close to. However, if disassembly really proves impossible, it may be better than leaving it as is. I have done it.....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration