Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Looking for a flash cable Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Looking for a flash cable « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

August
Tinkerer
Username: August

Post Number: 28

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 07:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Kmart Focal M500T auto flash unit that I would like to use with an X-sync cable, but I have no cable for it and it doesn't take a standard cable. Since I figure Kmart wouldn't have made their own flashes nor developed a special cable interface just for itself, I'm assuming the connection is the same as that of some real flash manufacturer. The connection at the flash is for a 2-prong socket with circular cross-section prongs about 5mm apart, one prong hole being about 2mm in diameter and the other 1.5mm. Does anybody recognize this type of flash cable and, for bonus points, do you know of a source for them? Thanks as always.

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 67

Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will the flash work with a hotshoe? I think I would just use a hotshoe-to-PC adapter like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/95414-REG/General_Brand_SF941_PC_to_Hot_Sh oe.html

You might find one at your local camera store as well.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Those flashes were built by Maxwell electronics of Hong Kong. Not easy to find those cables. Best way is to get a regular PC cord, strip off the end you don't need, solder the wires to a few thin brads of the proper size to fit the holes and, then, mix up some of that PlayDoh type epoxy and form a "plug" around the brads while they are inserted in the holes. Works very nice. That it how I did mine until I found a cable. Works the same anyhow.

August
Tinkerer

Post Number: 29

Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Donnie: Yes, that's plan B.

Tom: Good idea, but how do I know which wire goes to which hole on the flash? Anyway thanks very much for telling me who really made them. Nobody else has been able to tell me that.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before you commit your action to forming the epoxy plug, test the cable. If it shoots the flash ok, fine. If not, flip the brads around or resolder the wires the other way. Actually, it should work in either orientation.

August
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Tom. The pins need to be of different diameters and lengths, so I guess the thing to do would be to make the plug so it fits, then test the wiring both ways. I'm liking Donnie's solution better.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration