Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta CLE shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta CLE shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 16

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 07:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had one instance of a neg which shows a distinct line down the middle with more exposure one side than the other. It looks like the second curtain hesitated during it's travel. Other negs either side look fine.

Has anyone come across this? Any ideas why a horizontally travelling cloth shutter should hesitate like that?

Will_ericson
Tinkerer
Username: Will_ericson

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 07:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What you describe could be "capping". This is where one curtain is not maintaining an even space to the other as the shutter travels. Keep in mind the CL has a vertical travel shutter - not horizontal. So if it is indeed capping, the line of darkness will be horizontal across the negative.

The camera will need a CLA - that should fix it.

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 17

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply but, as I said, this is a CLE not a CL and the shutter is a horizontal running cloth type. 'Capping' is when the two curtains come together part way across the frame usually due to the first curtain running slow and causes a partly exposed frame. What I have is an uneven exposure with a definite line between the two halfs of the frame. Given the direction of travel of the shutter, this seems to me to be a second curtain fault but I don't know any reason why it would happen just once like this. So I was looking for some fairly specific ideas as to what might cause this.

Not sure I can post images here so you can see the negs here.

Will_ericson
Tinkerer
Username: Will_ericson

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My apologies on the CLE - CL confusion. FWIW , now having seen the neg, I don't think that is capping either. It is so sharp a line. It looks like a fault in the film actually. Almost like there is more emulsion/density on one side. If the camera is not doing this regularly that is. -William

Mndean
Tinkerer
Username: Mndean

Post Number: 140

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never seen a really sharp line like that caused by a mechanical fault in the shutter. It looks like two different exposures. If there was a fault, it might have been something (film chip?) that stopped the second curtain for the smallest fraction of a second, then moved out of the way. I'd say wait and see if it reproduces itself again.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration