Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Trip 35 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus Trip 35 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will_ericson
Tinkerer
Username: Will_ericson

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Does anyone have a procedure for focus checking the Olympus Trip 35? How does one lock open the shutter to allow for a ground glass check at the film plane? (I want to check infinity focus)Thanks in advance. -William

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 69

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Obtain a locking cable release which screws into the release button. Easily found at your local camera dealer or on eBay.
Richard.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 242

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Disnae work for me - problem is the lack of a bulb setting as far as I can tell. If it does work for you, please share the details!

However there is a very active Trip 35 group on Flickr, and if you rummage through its discussions you should find at least one method, if not more. I recall it being discussed.

Adrian

Will_ericson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes - no bulb setting. But thanks for the suggestion just the same. -William

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 59

Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To lock the shutter in the open position for checking the focus you need to stop a tiny brass flywheel from turning, unfortunately this is not easy to get at. So this is the way I did it.

First remove the top cover, then insert a thin strip of card (cut from a business card)at a slight angle into the gap at the left side of the wind-on wheel, with a bit of fiddling and a bit of luck the card will jam the flywheel. For more information try Googling "Olympus Trip 35 Modifications". - Alf

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 201

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a procedure I used once which involves taking off the top cover and I think blocking part of the shutter linkage while holding down the shutter release while adjusting the lens element. I can't find any notes but it does work if you have enough hands. No touching of the shutter blades necessary. A thorough Google search may find it.

Will_ericson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everybody. Aford's procedure works. But I used a Q-Tip stick to gently jam the shutter mechanism. Then you have to jam the shutter release in the down position to activate the aperture at 2.8. The focus part is then straight forward. But putting the lens ring on with out disturbing the focus is tricky as there is a keyed part that has to fit in along with the 3 grub screws. It is a fiddly operation for sure, but worth it! -William

Olympfix
Tinkerer
Username: Olympfix

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 04:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's an easier way-remove top, disengage wind ratchet lever by holding lever clear of geared wheel, then wind wheel backwards. This will open the blades.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration