Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35-S -- light seals Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Olympus 35-S -- light seals « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 76

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought an Olympus 35-S and am doing a CLA. The thing is, except for a strip of some kind of fabric at the hinge end, there is no sign that this camera ever had light seals. It has the grooves surrounding the film door, but they seem to be "v" bottomed, instead of square bottomed. I am undecided if anything is supposed to go in there. Does anyone know if this camera is supposed to have light seals surrounding the film door?

Will_ericson
Tinkerer
Username: Will_ericson

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one here I'm looking at and it has a fuzzy yarn like strip in each channel. -william

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 77

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Will! I'll try it with seal strips. Is there anything on the latch end?

Will_ericson
Tinkerer
Username: Will_ericson

Post Number: 11

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, On the latch end there is a strip of velvet - very thin (1/32" ?)- running top to bottom between the channels. I haven't taken off the latch cover, but the strip looks to be about a 1/4-3/8" wide as it goes under. On the hinge side of mine is a similar thickness velvet strip about 1/8" wide begining right at the hinge running top to bottom. -william

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 35

Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have that particular model, but I do have a few Japanese cameras from that era. I think there was always meant to something on the latch and hinge sides (very thin-- or the door will be hard to close), but the top and bottom edges were usually meant to keep out light without any light-baffle material.

You can try putting something in the top and bottom channels, but you might feel resistance when closing the door, which could distort the door or the latch. A length of yarn probably wouldn't hurt anything.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration