Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Some Queries Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Some Queries « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phototime
Tinkerer
Username: Phototime

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I have a few non-related queries, but all related to camera and lens.

1) I get an F50 from my friend. Everything is working fine, except the focusing. Whenever it report focus, I can see through the view finder that it is acutally not focus. Can I do the alignment myself? If yes, how shall I proceed to do the alignment?

2) How shall we clean the lens that is foggy?

3) I have an Hoya polariser that is also foggy inside, how can I dismantle it?

4) I have an Metz Flash, 32-CT4, which occassionally fired off full power, although I have set to auto. I am not sure if it is because the heat built up causing the metering to fail. Can I open and fix it? Where can I get the parts for it? There are battery leakage at the compartment, which I am not sure if it has spread to other area.

5) Looking at the current trend, I cannot use the metering in the Nikon Entry Level DSLR. Is there any mounting available to convert those manual lens to the CPU Lens?

Thanks for viewing. Hope my queries won't bore you down.

Regards.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 172

Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For 1: Really not within the province of this forum, but I think that some Nikon digital cameras are reported to have problems of this sort with some lenses. First thing you need to do is determine if it is the same with all lenses. Not likely something you can fix yourself either way, but it's the first thing to find out. Before you come to a conclusion, compare pictures using viewfinder and auto focus (use some relatively close subject in which depth of field is shallow), and see which one is better focused. If auto focus is better, then your viewing screen may be out of place.

For 2 and 3, not enough information. Some polarizers are held together by a snap ring or spring retainer, which may be hard to get a tool under. Look at the inside of the ring on the back side. If you can find the snap ring, and pry it out, the polarizer should come apart. Lenses vary too much to say. some can be cleaned by unscrewing a couple of elements, and others are astonishingly complicated.

For 4, not something I would fix, mostly because the metering circuitry may well be integrated, and impossible to fix. Also please remember that an electronic flash creates and stores potentially injurious and even LETHAL high voltages, even when it is off. If you are not comfortable working with charged, high voltage capacitors that can give you a painful or even fatal shock, leave this alone.

For 5, there are some people out there converting manual lenses to CPU, but it is expensive and not all lenses can be done. A lens can only be "chipped" if there is an existing CPU lens that has the same aperture range, for which chips are made. A google search might come up with more info. Many people skip the metering, and use the histogram display as a post-shot meter. As you gain exposure experience, the meter becomes less important anyway.

Phototime
Tinkerer
Username: Phototime

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply. I think I can only make those things as paper weight then. Cannot do much with them myself. As for the lens, I have dismantle it, and now I have various high quality magnifying glass.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 174

Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some of the innards of lenses are very interesting. For example, I once took apart a zoom lens, and the center group, which moved inside the assembly, still in one piece, has an interesting property. I am very far-sighted, and usually need magnification to see close objects. But this group, although in one direction it has negative magnification and in the other essentially zero, eliminates the blur in both directions. Very strange.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration