Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica 635 Timer stuck? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Yashica 635 Timer stuck? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stepheng
Tinkerer
Username: Stepheng

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 17, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi i recently acquired a Yashica which the owner told me had been stored in the attic for years.

It looks in great condition but it appears the timer is stuck though i might be wrong. It just want "click" "snap" not sure what the right word is.
I also have another 635 but more worn and slightly dented but this works fine.
I am a complete beginner in this area. So any help advice appreciated also is there a repair manual any where for the 635.
Thankyou.yashica635

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 287

Posted on Friday, April 17, 2009 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When yu say timer are you referring to the self timer or shutter timer? The self timer has been troublesome with this camera.Usually needs just a cleaning to remove dust and old lube. I usually don't lube bearings of self timer much if at all. The self timer is located just below cover on bottom of shutter mech. The slow speed shutter timer is higher on the upper part of shutter husing. If you feel up to the challenge you can clean it yourself. To access you must first remove leatherette on lens board. This is usually brittle and breaks. There are screws undernjeath that come off to reveal shutter. If you are careful with spray cleaner such as clear tuner , contact cleaner spray it sparingly. But be sure that this spray doesen't contain anything that will gum up now or later. This should fix the problem. Keep me updated..Don

Stepheng
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don and thank you for the fast response. It is the switch under the lens with the red dot in the picture. It want move back. I may be wrong in amusing this is the reason that the shutter cocking leaver does not seem to cock as when i press the shutter release button the blades do not open to let in light. Hope this makes sense.
Stephen.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 288

Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes that is the self timer and it is very problematic with these cameras. And yes it can be cleaned or replaced from another copal shutter. It can also be removed to fix till you get a new self timer mechsm. Some users even put a dot of glue on lever so as not to use. Don

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 864

Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a number of possibilities. The self timer is actually started running by the first millimeter or two of movement of the shutter blade ring... if the blades are stuck together (entirely possible after years in an attic), the self timer cannot run because it has not been triggered. A second possibility is that it has been triggered but its gears are sticky. This is also very likely after long storage. In this case, gentle pressure back toward the (camera's) left on the self timer lever might make it go through its cycle and release the shutter. Once the shutter has released, resist the temptation to set the self timer again.

The self timers are no more prone to sticking than the shutter speeds themselves, they are just used less and so have more idle time to get stuck - and the consequences of the self timer sticking are a bit more serious than those of the slow speeds hanging up. All it needs is a cleaning to clear it up. That really needs to be done anyway because of the camera's age and the conditions of its storage. If you don't want to do it yourself, there is a great directory of repair services at www.acecam.com

Stepheng
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Managed to move the self timer back but still have the same problem press the shutter release button and nothing not even any kind of resistance.
Ok thanks for the info i will probably attempt to repair it myself as that is one of the areas i wanted to learn about. Is there a manual or diagrams for this specific camera?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 865

Posted on Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have some notes for the Yashica C and D, which are very similar.

Stepheng
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it possible for you to send them kayahazedotatdotbtinternet.com at least i will get a rough idea what i am getting myself in to i have the distinct feeling that this can get kinda addictive :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration