Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zorki 4 vs 4K Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Zorki 4 vs 4K « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bernhard_prins
Tinkerer
Username: Bernhard_prins

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 17, 2009 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any specific 4K curtaintravel problem known which does not show up on the 4?
I have no speed problems with my Z-4, but when reassing my 1974 4K it travels well for a while until the top cover is placed back and screwed....# 2 gets stuck on 1/30 and B and curtains seem to loose their tension after a while...
I must say it sounds cheap compared to my 4 (1966)
Or is it just a bad 4K species?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 862

Posted on Friday, April 17, 2009 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know of any basic differences, although materials did gradually get cheaper over the years. Main advantage of the 4 that I've found is the engraved numbers on the shutter speed dial - and the later 4's are just printed like the 4K.

John_cribbin
Tinkerer
Username: John_cribbin

Post Number: 10

Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As usual Rick's got it pretty well spot on :-) I'm pretty sure that the only technical difference between the 4 & the 4K is the addition of the wind on lever. Chances are that it needs a CLA to sort things out. You might just get away with a bit of shutter re-tensioning, but that might just be forcing the shutters through the infamous soviet dried out grease. QC and materials went down big time over the years. I've got a 1958 Zorki 4 and there it feels just so much better built than the later ones or 4K.

Bernhard_prins
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear John, Rick
so now I found out that on my 4K the #1 curtaincloth was originally put in its strip which was assembled wrong side up!
So the curtain laces were always troubled travelling over the folded edges of the metal strip! Such soviet precision....
I took out the cloth,turned around its strip and laces, glued again and tomorrow I'm gonna put the whole thing together again ( at least the 4th time this week...) I'll keep you informed

Bernhard_prins
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After some bad trials I finally took out the slightly worn out curtain laces and replaced them by cut-out pieces of thin nylon strap (wrapped around a delivery box)and after overcoming a few difficulties the curtains run very smoothly.... I realise that reassy of my 4K needs a bit attention; don't fasten the 2 screws inside of the camera-top cover too much so the flash synchro-ring can be moved a little bit in order to let the cocked shutter timer knob run back more freely.... This was never a problem on my Z4; she runs perfectly and sounds Leica-like....the 4K still sounds very cheap.
This picture shows the bad condition of one of the curtain laces.. worn-out lace....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration