Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta 135mm Diaphragm Repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta 135mm Diaphragm Repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rutherfordmills
Tinkerer
Username: Rutherfordmills

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got an older Minolta 135mm 2.8 lens and the pieces to the diaphragm are loose and jingling around inside the lens. You can shake the lens and see them move around. I think what I'm talking about is called the diaphragm, it's the pieces that change from a narrow to wider aperture. Does anyone have any idea how to repair this? Or if I missed any older threads about this, just redirecting me there would help. Thank you in advance

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 548

Posted on Monday, April 20, 2009 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you mean that the diaphragm still works but when the lens is shaken the blades move in their retainer, or are you saying the blades have come out of the retainer and diaphragm is completely stuffed?

If the diaphragm is still working do not worry about the movement, this is quite common in old lenses and indicates that the blades are completely oil/grease free. You should only worry if the blades do not move - indicates blades are contaminated with oil/greas and may not operate properly!

Rutherfordmills
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The blades were completely seperated from the retainer. laying out on top of the lens. There's been some new problems arise since that last post. haha I dismembered the lens, placed the blades back in their retainer best i could and this first image was unscrew from the 2nd. (the 2nd and 3rd images are the same piece just different angles.) But now for the life of me, I can't get it to screw back together. I put a little bit of wd40 on it but it didn't help. Any ideas?

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/8997/0421092149.jpg
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7259/0421092150.jpg
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5775/0421092151.jpg

Rutherfordmills
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have an idea on how to replace this?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 558

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 02:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have unscrewed part of the focusing helical. Reassembly is a simple reversal of the unscrewing action. Unfortunately this is only simple when you have noted the position of the focus ring, and scribed reference lines on the multi start threaded portion, so you can position the removed part correctly.

The removed helical needs greasing, not WD40. Your main problem is the position of the focus ring, this rotates on a fine thread, that is normally single or twin start. You have not stripped this assembly, but how was the ring positioned when you unscrewed the removed bit? If I had done this strip, I would have set the focus on infinity before even thinking of removing the helical.

If you know the focus ring position, your only option to replace the removed inner barrel, is to locate a thread start position, screw in and see if everything lines up and lens operates. If first position is a cock up go on to the next thread start. You will eventually end up with an assembled lens - probably after a couple of nights frustration! If you do not know original position of focus ring, set it on infinity and remember that the inner barrel will need to screwed fairly well in to obtain infinity focus.

You just need plenty of patience!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration