Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Dents in front lens rings Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Dents in front lens rings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chaffinch
Tinkerer
Username: Chaffinch

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 04:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just acquired a very beautiful old Ricoh Five One Nine rangefinder in perfect working order, the only imperfection being a slight ding in the front of the lens barrel, just enough to prevent the mounting of a filter. I'd really like to reshape the offending area; Does anyone have some good advice, or a clever trick for dealing with such situations?

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 204

Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 06:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never actually tried this but if you took a filter with a segment of the ring missing you might be able to start threading it in and it would force the dented part back into its original shape as you turned it. Use a filter (strap) wrench if you have one

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 64

Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why not follow this forum's (former???) administrator's way: https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/filterringtool.html
I have used this method of undenting lenses with satisfactory to very good results. Like everything else in life this is also a matter of one's individual skills and ingenuity.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 557

Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The use of a wooden former and a piece of wood to force the dent out, is simple and does work - with Harryrag's proviso. Another way is to use a lens vise to expand the dent out, and reform the filter mount. If you look these up on the Micro-Tools site they are about €50.00 each; however, I got a set of two off eBay for £10.00. OK, so they are Indian/Chinese or some other indeterminate origin and the plating is crap, but they do the job.

Chaffinch
Tinkerer
Username: Chaffinch

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, all of you. There has to be something there that will work. Great to get such a good response!

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 50

Posted on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I'm like the Viet Cong and able to make tools out of sardine cans. I took an old filter or filter ring sans glass and cut an arc out of the filter about 1/2 inch long. I find I can place this piece of filter over the dinged area inside the lens and tap on the piece without damaging the lens threads (the filter arc threads fit into the threads of the lens mount)!!Try it.....worked for me for years!! Art www.flcamerarepair.com

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration