Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 Won't fire, battery check l... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Canon A-1 Won't fire, battery check light just flashes « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gdogg16
Tinkerer
Username: Gdogg16

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just picked this camera up on monday and it has been working just fine until today. I pulled it out of the camera back, switched it from "L" to "S" and pressed the shutter release button and nothing happened. I noticed that no matter what button I press on the camera, the battery test light just flashes. Any suggestions? I checked the rewind button on the bottom and it is not stuck.

Thanks,

Greg

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 73

Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the risk of stating the obvious, are you sure there is a good fresh battery loaded? A battery giving only 5.8V won't deliver enough juice for an A-1.

Gdogg16
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it has a brand new 6v lithium 2crn/13n.

Gdogg16
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nobody has any idea as to why the battery test light flashes no matter what button on the camera is pressed and why the camera won't fire?

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 135

Posted on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably a dirty switch or contact somewhere.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 82

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't see an "S" position on this camera. "L" is off, "A" is on, "2" and "10" are the self timer delays in seconds. What readout do you see in the viewfinder?

Gdogg16
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are right, there is not an s position.. I also picked up a AE1 program so I got the switch position call outs mixed up.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 559

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a fairly common fault on the A-1, where dirt and debris shorts out the insulating pillars on the battery test button and associated switch. This gives the flashing LED/button symptom, but also leads to rapid discharge of the battery. Now given that the A-1 is voltage critical, your camera could have this fault and the non- function is due to the 'new' battery being discharged.

As a quick test, I suggest you replace the battery and see if the camera works. If it functions, remove battery and clean the plastic pillars and also check the wiring from the battery test button - a wire passes across the front of the body and it is just possible that the insulation can get damaged. I cannot be more specific on the wiring, as during the manufacturing life of this mode,l there were many cost cutting modifications to the electronics and mechanicals.

Gdogg16
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just put a brand new battery in, and I'm still getting the same fault. Can anyone recommend reputable repair shop? I'm in the washington DC area.

Thanks,
Greg

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration