Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Seagull-4 Stuck Shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Seagull-4 Stuck Shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fracturedlens
Tinkerer
Username: Fracturedlens

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've gotten my grubby mitts on a Seagull-4 camera of some type and while it's in fairly good condition for such an old beast that's been rolling around inside all sorts of closests it does have a stuck shutter. I'm pretty certain I know how to fix the stuck shutter, someone has fudged the timer after setting it and gotten the shutter stuck...

I've looked at an online manual and looked around for a blow-up diagram of the camera and haven't found one. I simply can't get the front piece that holds the lenses off the frame, I've poked and turned every screw I can find and I simply can't get it free.

So does anyone have any handy tips or advice on how to get at the internals of the confounded contraption? Technical diagrams would be especially ace at this point.

Anyway, thanks in advance...

Vinzenz
Tinkerer
Username: Vinzenz

Post Number: 27

Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have never opened a Seagull, but with Rolleiflex and Flexaret TLRs you need to carefully peel away the leather covering on the front plate. I assume it is the same for the Seagull.

Try to lift off a corner with a small screwdriver or a knife with a rather blunt blade to prevent cutting the leather. Work slowly and carefully until you reach the screws. There is probably one in every corner, but someone might respond soon who knows exactly where they are in the Seagull. If the glue is very strong you can dip the screwdriver / knife a little bit in acetone, but be extremely cautious because acetone will dissolve any plastic covering rather quickly.

Fracturedlens
Tinkerer
Username: Fracturedlens

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 05:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah-ha! Thanks a whole lot for the advice. Luckily the glue holding the covering of the front plate was rather weak and I just needed to use a pocket knife along with some slow and steady movements.

From one problem to another though. The timer lever on the Seagull is stuck in the cocked position, which hinders my ability to remove the cover. The cover has slots through which the levers slide when removing it.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I could uncock the timer lever without taking the front cover off or alternatively get the front cover off with it stuck cocked?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance again...

Leesobing
Tinkerer
Username: Leesobing

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 05:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is because Block Nagarze outward deflection of the protruding part of the deformation, which has entered a medium-speed areas because. In such cases, according to the aforementioned method to slowly drive out, attached with small pincers protruding parts of the outer side, is slowly plate (not too hard, or easy to break), so that slower machines with a vertical plane, original location and then installed the trial on several occasions on the trip
do you means the shutter speed do not well .
http://www.china-c-w.com/forum/bbs_show.php?textID=4299b11d20f99
dissamble manlus but chinese I Hope help U .
Seagull is a great 120 camera it is cheap and easy to use.
For 4A it is 3group 4elements 4Bor 4b1 is 3 groups 3 element

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration