Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic 7s Lens Wobble Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta Hi-Matic 7s Lens Wobble « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Denmarkyuzon
Tinkerer
Username: Denmarkyuzon

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 05:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i just got my hi-matic 7s.. but the shutter wont fire.. i realized that the lens is wobbly and everytime i cock/advance the film, the lens seem to slightly rotate clockwise.. and i have to hold the lens in and gently prevent lens rotation in order for the shutter to fire.. is there anyway i can repair my wobbly lens? i know the design is very complex.. but, if its not too much, maybe i can do it?

for background, i have not done any camera repairs at all.. this is my first and only rangefinder... so is there anyway i can DIY repair this without destroying it or its more likely to go to a service center?

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 205

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 05:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On many cameras if it's the whole lens and not just the outer sections you can peel back the leatherette around the lens and find 4 screws that attach the lens mounting plate to the front of the camera. These may need tightening. Not sure about the Minolta.

Denmarkyuzon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi charlie, thanks for the info, but i dont think it has screws around the lens.. i think i would have to go in.. but there's no instruction manual or whatsoever.. i need something like a manual with actual photos of it to prevent me from destroying my camera..

Denmarkyuzon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi guys.. i just recieved my scans from the lab.. it seems that some of my shots were in focus.. other were not where i thought, i focused well by lining up the ghost image.. it might be due to the fact that i focus then i would hold the lens back in which unfocuses on my subject so that the shutter would fire.. please help me.. is there anyway i can DIY the lens wobble and also calibrate the lens for focusing..

Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 36

Posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 03:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found that most Japanese fixed-lens rangefinder cameras of this era (mid 1960s) generally do have four screws accessible from the front. A ring-nut (which you can see when you open the film door) holds the len-shutter assembly on a square-ish metal plate. That plate is attached to the camera body with those four screws.

I'd begin by checking the ring nut, and if that doesn't help, peel back the black vinyl covering (starting from the two sharp corners at the top and bottom of each side of the lens), until you see the screws. They are sometimes concealed under a bit of thin sheet metal.

Denmarkyuzon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you scott! i will try this one for sure.. im in a middle of a test roll.. im going to start this one soon.. il post some pics if i find those screws..

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer
Username: Sauli_särkkä

Post Number: 34

Posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't waste your roll, just release and wind it in until it unspools from the winder side. That way you still have a leader to use, when you pop the film back in the camera.

Be sure to write down what frame you're on, so you can wind and click (cover the lens, shoot at smallest aperture and max speed) your way back to the next frame, when you've checked the camera.

-Sale

Denmarkyuzon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 06:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you Sauli.. no im not wasting my film.. ive been out lately and im trying to get as much good pictures as i can by trying very hard to focus and gently fire the shutter.. im almost done.. one more day.. il post the pics here so that you guys can help me through the process..

Harryrag
Tinkerer
Username: Harryrag

Post Number: 68

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that problem has been being discussed on many occasions, maybe the archives are of some help, look here, for example, https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/13061/10424.html

Denmarkyuzon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, May 01, 2009 - 08:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you harryrag.. it has been informative.. i guess il try to see if there's a loose screw which i can try and re screw coming from the back of the camera..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration