Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Fx-70 Quartz Problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Yashica Fx-70 Quartz Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam17009
Tinkerer
Username: Adam17009

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought a Yashica Fx-70 Quartz. It seemed to work fine for the first roll of film. After about 6 pictures of the second the batteries (put in brand new before the first roll) seemed to be dead. The exposure lights wouldn't come on. I got new ones, and before i put them in i tried to take a picture again and the camera worked for one exposure. I put the new batteries in and the camera wouldn't work. The lights now came on, but the shutter would not open when i pressed the button. I tried advancing the film and it did, but the shutter would not open again when i pressed the button. The film advances as much as i want with but it seems to not trigger the shutter when advanced. I don't know whats up. Any Help??? I'm moving to Yellowstone for the summer and would really like to have this problem fixed before hand. Thanks for your help.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 137

Posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First you need to clean all of the battery contacts, not only in the camera, but in the battery holder.

The film should not be advancing in this situation and that indicates that the wind lock is stuck; the obstruction lever is not moving.

So it seems that there is an electrical problem and a mechanical problem.

I suggest you try to clean the contacts first and see what happens.

Adam17009
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you. I will try that in the morning and post the results. Thank you for your help.

Adam17009
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cleaned out all the corrosion in the battery holder (there was a bit). The electronics seem to be working fine. Is there a way to check out and fix the mechanical problem with the obstruction lever not moving? Thanks again for your help

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 138

Posted on Friday, May 01, 2009 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just remove the screws and pull off the bottom plate.

The mechanics will in view and you will see that the obstruction lever should cam into the plate at the bottom of the wind shaft and prevent further winding; i.e. double exposures or wind-on problems.

At the end of the wind cycle, it should release and drop into place to prevent further winding.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration