Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-M and X-570 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Minolta XG-M and X-570 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Akv
Tinkerer
Username: Akv

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,
I own a Minolta XG-M and an X-570 that seem to have the same (or similar) problem.

The XG-M fires but the mirror stays up and I have to pull and release the shutter curtain. I've read on this forum that it might be a capacitor issue. The odd thing is that when I put a motor winder on it, the camera functions great and fires like a champ.

The X-570 was working great but now has developed a similar problem, but it only seems to be affecting it at shutter speeds of 1/60 or lower. And after repeatedly trying to "clear" the problem, it won't fire at the higher speeds now.
I've read that this might be an issue with dirt gumming up the works and the electromagnets, or the dreaded capacitors.

Firstly, can anyone point me to a link or online reference that shows in some kind of detail how to clean the magnets and such? And secondly, how difficult would it be to change the capacitors for someone who has no prior experience whatsoever? And where would said noob find a capacitor that would suit these cameras?

Thank you!!

Bossman
Tinkerer
Username: Bossman

Post Number: 53

Posted on Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First of all, it's NOT the capacitors!! It could be something as simple as curtain adjustment. Remove the bottom plate and locate the tiny brass adjustments for the curtains to the left of the battery well platform (camera mount towards you). They will be brass wheels with ratchet teeth. Try increasing the tension(turn counter-clockwide) on the one closest to the lens mount or front of camera body.....that will be the second curtain. If that cures the problem, you will have to check all the shutter speeds especially the speeds above 125/1000. Call me for further info www.flcamerarepair.com Art 863-815-0480

Akv
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Art,
Appreciate the help. I'll give that a try.

Akv
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the XG-M:
I tried adding more tension to the brass wheel but still no change, I could feel more tension in the shutter though.
After a while the advance lever won't "catch" anymore so I have to keep cycling it.

You camera repair people must have nerves of steel.. I kept getting tempted to take a hammer and chisel to the thing... lol

Akv
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HAHA!!! I got it working!
I tried doing the fix suggested here along with what you said Art:

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/6901/2774.html

Thanks so much for your help.
I totally get camera repair now, talk about a rush of hearing the shutter fire with me having to pull on it or anything.. awesome.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration