Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica IIIf wind knob issue. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Leica IIIf wind knob issue. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mattboston
Tinkerer
Username: Mattboston

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone,

With help from Rick Oleson's excellent notes I have started a CLA of my Leica IIIf. Everything went fine until re-assemble of the wind knob/film advance/counter assembly. It seems that the shaft that the take up spool slides over (and that the wind knob screws on to) comes up too far through the top shell. This leaves some play in the knob that is noticeable when advancing the film. The knob is screwed onto the shaft all the way, in fact I think it is bottomed out onto the shaft.

It looks like I am missing a washer or spacer that would keep this shaft closer to the bottom of the camera- but I rushed and did not take photos or make diagrams when I was taking this section apart (I know, I know). Does anyone have a diagram or photo of how this shaft fits into the body? The top of the shaft has a spring that engages the reverse click- this works the way it should, it just seems to come through the body too far.

Thanks in advance.

matt

Mattboston
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, May 01, 2009 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took some pictures last night to clarify.

The first is the wind knob shaft (yes, it is still dirty). Above the toothed gear and click spring you have two bearing surfaces. The first is where this shaft rotates in the camera body; the second is for the frame counter advance gear. In between the two surfaces are grooves- do clips or washers need to go in those?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/mstott/2009-04-30/IMG_0735.jpg

Next is the wind-knob assembly- minus the camera frame. Am I missing any parts? Do I have the click spring oriented correctly on the shaft? This is starting to drive me a bit crazy.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/mstott/2009-04-30/IMG_0733.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 876

Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 04:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't see anything missing. Might there be something inside the threaded hole in the wind knob that made the shaft bottom out before it was all the way down?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 568

Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 05:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not forget that when you clean all the crap and dried lubricant from worn parts, any wear that has occurred may be more apparent on reassembly.

Mattboston
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 06:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick and Glen. I had some time this weekend to play around a bit- a thin nylon washer(~0.2mm) between the shaft and the inside of the camera seemed to resolve all my problems. I am going to assume wear for now.

I had not taken the screw out of the threaded section of the wind shaft Rick, but now I am really curious to see what's in there (and if it is causing my problem). Nothing inside the knob end - I took this apart many, many times to make sure it was clean and assembled properly.

Thanks again, I'll let you know if I find anything more.

Matt

Kirkvo
Tinkerer
Username: Kirkvo

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, May 11, 2009 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Natcam repair manual for the IIIf. If it will help you I can scan and email to you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration