Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM Advance Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikon FM Advance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Church_st_photo
Tinkerer
Username: Church_st_photo

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 04, 2009 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I'm new to the forum and new to trying to fix my cameras. So far I've only replaced light seals on Nikon and Fujica and a battery contacts on the Fujica. Here is my question. I have a Nikon FM and the film advance slips. If I advance slowly its ok. If I advance too quickly I get uneven or overlapping frames on the film. Is this an easy or difficult repair to do. Does this take alot of experience to do? or should I just have it done. Thanks.

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer
Username: Sauli_särkkä

Post Number: 41

Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you spotted where the slipping is occurring? Are the sprocket teeth on the film advance mechanism inside the film chamber ok?

-Sale

Sevo
Tinkerer
Username: Sevo

Post Number: 39

Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 02:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like freewheeling sprockets to me. These uncouple for rewinding, and if the coupling has jammed due to hardened grease, dirt or worn components only the friction drive on the spool will advance the film.

Church_st_photo
Tinkerer
Username: Church_st_photo

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sale, thanks, I just checked and the teeth inside the chamber are o.k.
Sevo, thanks, something else to look for. I'll take it apart to see what I can see. It is old, hardened grease may be the culprit.

Thanks all.

Sauli_särkkä
Tinkerer
Username: Sauli_särkkä

Post Number: 42

Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It might be enough to take off the bottom plate. Look at the rewind button's mechanicals, it might be that the button's gear drive isn't properly seated down, when advancing.

-Sale

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration