Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica D with haze on inner lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Yashica D with haze on inner lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roboctopus
Tinkerer
Username: Roboctopus

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 08:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all! I've just gotten into medium format film photography (thanks to the Holga, initially). I used to be all digital. I bought a Yashica-D off fleabay. It looks like it was barely used, and everything works properly on it. The Yashinon lenses are crystal clear...except that the front of the inner taking lens has a bit of a haze on it I can see when I hold it up to the light. I don't know if it is fungus or lubricant or something.

I am unskilled at camera work. Is there a way to get at the front of that lens to clean it? If there is a way to remove the front lens I was thinking I could set the camera on B and keep the aperture wide and use a q-tip and some solvent to clean that lens. But I don't know how to take the front taking lens off, or even if it is possible. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 80

Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not familiar with that particular model but it should be possible to unscrew the whole rear cell.
Cotton tips are OK to use for cleaning aperture blades but are too hard for some old coatings. It is safer to use ordinary soft facial tissue rolled up to a thin cylinder about an inch long and teased out or torn to give a ragged end. Apply a couple of drops of lighter fluid and a drop of deionised water to the tissue and wipe gently.

Logandiana
Tinkerer
Username: Logandiana

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the lens is set up the same as the yashikor on on the 635 which I suspect it is then you should be able to unscrew the ring that holds the front element in. I had the same problem on my 635. There were a few dust specs on the back of the very front element. There should be 2 notches in the ring that says Yashinon 3,5 . You can unscrew this part. If it's tight you'll have to get a spanner wrench to do the job. It shouldn't be that tight though. I unscrewed mine with my thumbnails in the slots. Once you remove this ring the element is just sitting there. Turn the camera upsidedown and let the element fall into your hands. you can clean it then and while you're at it you can clean the next element below. When you are done cleaning it just carefully set the element back in the hole and screw the ring down on top of it. Be sure to make note of the position of the ring and number of turns to remove it so when you put it back you get right back in the same spot. You don't want to over tighten it or leave it to loose. If this is anything like the 635 you won't even have to deal with the shutter or aperture blades.

Tom_cheshire
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_cheshire

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was given one of these in pieces and reassembled it but had a hard time getting the lens to screw back in once it was all put together. It seemed to go in fine with the face plate off. Had to put it together that way. Just mention that because don't know if you would have a problem putting your lens back in after cleaning it.

If your lens doesn't clean up after you go through all that, post a message here. I probably have a replacement for that.

Roboctopus
Tinkerer
Username: Roboctopus

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the responses! The retainer ring does have two little notches. I have been unable to unscrew the ring with my fingernails. I'm a little hesitant to try any tools for fear of hurting the lens, so I think I'll need to get a spanner.

I've no experience with removing a lens, and I do not know how fragile they are. Is the best way to remove the front lens (once the ring is out) to turn it upside down and let the lens fall into my hand? I'm worried about scratching it.

Thanks everyone!

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 101

Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

With care a pair pair of small needle-nose pliers will often loosen the retaining ring enough for fingernails to do the rest. Or with minor metal skills, a spanner can be made.

Logandiana
Tinkerer
Username: Logandiana

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, May 08, 2009 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have a place called Harbour Freight tools nearby? If so they have a watch opener tool that I bought to remove my retainer ring. Turns out I didn't need it as the ring was loose enough to get it with my thumb nails. It only cost like $3 bucks or something. Once you get the ring off the top element is loose. It's not attached to anything. It's a nice thick lens. You wouldn't want to scatch it, but it's not that fagile really. It's a lot thicker than glass in a standard lens filter. You'll be fine. Just be careful and go slow.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 289

Posted on Saturday, May 09, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To remove the front element of the Yashinon as a whole unit you can grip the outside barrel with some of that drawer liner grip rubber or use rubber bands and unscrew ccw . once it is off you can clean the rear of the front lens. And set shutter to B with a cable relese locked to keep shutter open carefully clean front of rear element. To Remove individual elements you should use a spanner if you really have to get between the elements of the group. Being careful when removing glass not to flip arrangement . When reassebling be careful with dust. You will be surprised how fast dust can get into the glass...Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration