Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FM2 shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Nikon FM2 shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marco
Tinkerer
Username: Marco

Post Number: 13

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, my FM2 releases shutter without a problem at 1/60 sec and slower speeds. At higher speeds, however, shutter works but the (vertical) curtain won't let light pass through. Does this problem have a likely culprit? I'll appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 878

Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guess is that something is making the first curtain hesitate ... at 1/60 it has time to get started before the second curtain fires, but at faster speeds it hangs until the closing curtain slams it home.

Most likely culprit is the foam rubber stuff that they used for light seals around the shutter module ... similar to the light seal stuff, it rots with age and bits of it get on the blades. You may, in fact, see smears of greasy black goo on the blades themselves. With luck, cleaning the part of the blades that you can reach from front and rear with lighter fluid on a cotton swab may get you on the road. If that doesn't do it, it's disassembly time.

Marco
Tinkerer
Username: Marco

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick, I'll follow your suggestion (well within my capabilities).
Meanwhile, I had been exercising the shutter and got some success at 1/125 (50% of the time) and even at 1/250 (1 in every 4 tries). Then all of a sudden a blade of one of the curtains (top?) engaged what seems part of the camera chassis. I got scared but managed to dislodge it and it's now firing again at 1/30. On closer inspection the curtains look like they had an earlier close encounter.
Feel more at ease with the cotton swab.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration