Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiron-made Vivitar 75-150mm f3.8 reas... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2009 » Kiron-made Vivitar 75-150mm f3.8 reassembly question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Warpedwoof
Tinkerer
Username: Warpedwoof

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks. I'm new to the forum, so a hello to all.

I'm reassembling the above lens after removing water stains on the elements, and I'm having difficulty getting the focusing helicoil threads to engage with the body threads. I've thoroughly checked the threads for imperfections, I've checked the roundness of the coils, I've even carefully tried warming the front housing and cooling the body to loosen the fit a fraction, but I can't get the threads to merge. At best they seem to jam no matter how one is rotated against the other and how square I try to keep them. They originally came apart without any difficulty. And there is nothing in the reassembly that would interfere with their merging. Would I be missing something here? Any perspective on this would be heartily appreciated. cheers.......Paul

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 573

Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Presuming that you are aligning the parts at the original starting point, you should carefully examine the actual ends of the threads. Wear can produce very thin 'chisel' shaped starts, and these can very easily get deformed during the stripping and subsequent cleaning procedure. I use a diamond hone on the outer edge of both parts, to give a small chamfer.

I have also found that on large diameter helicals, pushing the parts together whilst rotating will cause a jam. Pulling the parts 'apart' during rotation will allow the parts to be screwed together quite freely. Obviously one does not actually pull the parts apart, but once the threads engage just try and stop the leading edges of the threads rubbing together. The action is actually easier to do than explain, but once you experience success the action becomes automatic.

Kiron_kid
Tinkerer
Username: Kiron_kid

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We may have the repair manual for that lens in the Kiron Klub.

Kiron Kid

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration